Learning Opportunities for the Seniors Sector
Technology Platforms That Support Virtual Operations for Seniors Organizations
- Google Meets, Google Classroom and Google Drive: Google tools are free, accessible and have helpful options
- Zoom: Zoom is a popular video conferencing platform at the moment so it makes sense to use a tool that many people are familiar with
COVID-19 & Racism
The Secrets to Virtual Facilitation
How Nonprofits Can Use Crowdfunding to Raise More Money During the COVID-19 Crisis
Connectedness, Purpose, and Belonging: Role of Social Prescribing in Integrating Health Care and Social Supports
National Institute on Aging Conference 2020: Can Canada Afford to Age?
National Institute on Aging
October 1, 8 a.m.–6 p.m. (Eastern)
Location: Sears Atrium–George Vari Engineering and Computing Centre (245 Church Street, Ryerson University)
$438 + HST
Join the conversation about the future of ageing in Canada. This conference brings together thought leaders from the health sector, financial industry, government, and Ryerson community for a full day focused on personal financial security, healthy ageing, and discussions on public system sustainability.
Hoarding Interventions Conference 2020
$325 full conference, $190 one-day workshop (regular admission)
Intercultural Competency Training Program (ICTP)
Multicultural Health Brokers Co-op (MCHB)
Various dates, 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Location: Edmonton Intercultural Centre (9538 107 Avenue)
$300 per workshop; cohort pricing available
Four workshops are offered multiple times throughout the year:
- Foundations for Intercultural Practice
- Pre-Migration Context: Role Changes and the Influence of Culture on Refugee Families
- PTSD, Trauma and Strategies to work with affected Newcomer Individuals and Families
- From Colonialism to Interculturalism: Shifting Dynamics of Power
The workshops are based on the Multicultural Health Brokers’ collective knowledge, practice, and experience gained by working as multicultural community health workers and cultural brokers for the past 25 years. The workshops build not just on awareness, but on deepening understanding, empathy and acceptance leading towards behavioural change. This is the perfect space to ask those hard questions and evolve your skills in an environment of mutual respect, safety, constructive and collaborative problem-solving, and reciprocity of learning.
Family Caregiver Wellness Workshops
- Assisting with Mobility-Safe Practices
- Assisting with Personal and Intimate Care
- Mealtime and Medication Assistance
To register, go to norquest.ca/family-caregiver or select the workshop you’d like to attend from the list above.
ARCHIVED or ON-DEMAND WEBINARS
Webinar Series on Combatting Ageism
In January, February, and March of 2019 the International Federation on Ageing hosted three webinars focusing on the topic of combatting ageism. The recordings and presentation slides are now available:
Webinar 1: Human Rights of Older Persons and Agenda 2030
Webinar 2: Combating ageism to improve access to employment
Webinar 3: Campaigning: The best way to address ageism?
Reframing the Conversation on Elder Abuse
This online course will help advocates working on the issue of elder abuse communicate more effectively. The course offers an extensive online learning experience and step-by-step guidance with video lectures, animations, quizzes, and downloadable resources--all designed to help advocates increase support for policies to address and prevent elder abuse. The course will give advocates tools to:
- Reframe elder abuse as a matter of social justice
- Explain how our current social structure fosters isolation, which allows elder abuse to go unnoticed and unchallenged
- Demonstrate how restructuring our communities, by providing access to transportation and other public services, can address and prevent elder abuse